Saturday, February 14, 2015

Aromaleigh February 2015 Ephemera Box - Swatches and Review


Happy Valentine's Day again!  As I've said in my previous post, I'm spending V-Day alone, so I might as well catch up on February subscription boxes.  I have a brand new box for you guys this time!  Aromaleigh Cosmetics recently came out with their very own sub box called "Ephemera" and it launched last month, which I sadly missed.  New subscribers are now picked using a raffle system and I was lucky enough to get in :)  I had no idea what the theme was for this month, but I like Aromaleigh's shadow formula so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.  They have a very quick TAT and are extremely punctual, so I received this awhile ago.  Look how pretty the packaging is!

Unboxing!



Description of the theme and contents

So the inspiration for February's box ended up being the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  That's actually the reason it's taken me so long to write up this review.  I watched that movie years ago when I was really young, and even then, I remember it hitting me really hard.  It's such a deep, thought-provoking movie and even though I had no love troubles back then, the message and emotions stayed with me long after.  The leads, Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet were fantastic, especially Carrey.  It was the first serious movie I'd seen with him and he blew me away.  I think I definitely teared up watching him desperately try to cling onto his memories to no avail.  This box made me want to watch it again, but I don't think I'm ready for that emotional rollercoaster again (give me ten more years, I should be good).  For those who haven't watched it, I highly recommend it; it's a movie with one of the realest depictions of relationship and feelings, IMO.

Anyway, onto the swatches!

Pictures taken in daylight and swatched over Notoriously Morbid Shadow Bind (top half) and ELF Essential Primer (bottom half)

Meet Me in Montauk
Meet Me in Montauk:  green with blue sparkles.  The colors in the box were inspired by Clementine's (Kate Winslet's character) hair color changes.  Her hair color is always something bright, but Aromaleigh makes them wearable.




Blessed are the Forgetful
Blessed are the Forgetful:  pigmented pinky red with red sparkles.  This is a very pigmented blush, but it can definitely be sheered out with a light hand.  I applied it with a stipple brush and it looked great.




Remember Me
Remember Me:  shimmery salmon




Do I Know You?
Do I Know You?:  deep indigo with with gold and copper sparkles.  This is a striking shade, the coppers are more apparent in person and gorgeous.  I used this in the outer v and crease to deepen a subtle eye look.




Violet Me
Violet Me:  This is a perfume oil sample from Alchimia Apothecary.  I had not tried them yet but I do like this sample.  I'm horrible at describing scents, but it smells fruity and lightly floral.  I have a similar scent from Geek Chic Cosmetics, though I don't remember which one off the top of my head.




Ragnarok
Ragnarok:  beautiful gingerbread brown with green and red sparkles.  This is a sneak peek to next month's Ephemera box, which is supposedly Viking themed.  I love this shadow so much, it has an amazing buttery texture!




Origami Unicorn
Origami Unicorn:  semi sheer silvery blue with gold sparkles.  This is a sneak peek to the upcoming Blade Runner collection.  I've never watched it, so I have no idea what this is about, though the name certainly sounds intriguing.

Daylight:  Meet Me in Montauk, Blessed are the Forgetful, Remember Me, Do I Know You?, Ragnarok, Origami Unicorn

I really enjoyed this month's box, both for the inspiration and products.  While I'm not sure if I would've bought the colors separately, I know I like them because they are based off the movie.  Aromaleigh did a great job incorporating Clementine's hair colors into wearable eyeshadow and blush colors (really, Blessed are the Forgetful is not as intimidating as it looks!).  I'm also excited with next month's box because of how beautiful Ragnarok is.  I don't normally go for neutrals, but that one is just so complex!  If you're contemplating on whether or not to sign up for the Ephemera raffle, I'd definitely go for it.  The shadows are great quality and pretty even if you don't get the theme.

- Jolie ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment