Thursday, April 30, 2015

Uponaworld Cosmetics Hashashin Collection - First Impression and Swatches


Happy almost May, everyone!  I can't believe how quickly time flies, I still haven't even gotten to my April subscription reviews yet but I'm trying :(  Anyway, if you didn't know by now, I frequent an indie focused subreddit called /r/IndieMakeupandMore.  A week or two ago, Manuela from Uponaworld Cosmetics contacted me and asked if I would be interested in reviewing some of her eyeshadows.  I've seen her company pop up here and there, but it was still relatively new so I hadn't tried them out yet.  I said yes and she asked which collection I preferred as she had two (Rurouni Kenshin and Assassin's Creed).  Since I had no strong feelings for either subject, I looked on her site and chose based on colors.

I decided on the Assassin's Creed collection, called Hashashin because there were a few red shades and dark browns, which I love using in my outer corner.  Manuela let me know she'd be mailing out my samples soon and I received them within a week!  Her samples contain around 1/8th of a teaspoon of shadow so it's more than enough to swatch and use.  (Just a side note, Uponaworld also sells soaps and pressed eyeshadow palettes so there's a bit of variety there.)

Pictures taken in daylight and swatched over Notoriously Morbid Shadow Bind (left/top half) and ELF Essential Primer (right/bottom half)


The Betrayed
The Betrayed:  wine with gold sparkles.  This shadow was very pigmented even over bare skin and I was extremely impressed.  Manuela generously threw this in as a sample from the Rurouni Kenshin collection.



Hashashin Collection


Cute label art


Desmond
Desmond:  gold with silver shimmers




The Borgia
The Borgia:  dijon gold with gold sparkles




Time Lapse
Time Lapse:  dark moss green with gold, green, and copper sparkles




Hidden Blade
Hidden Blade:  blackened blue with silver, green, and red sparkles

The Betrayed, Desmond, The Borgia, Time Lapse, Hidden Blade


At this point, the sun started to go down so the rest are taken under a daylight bulb

Apple of Eden
Apple of Eden:  shimmery peach




The Templar
The Templar:  garnet with gold, red, and green shimmers.  This was another dark shade with impressive pigmentation over regular primer.




The Hashashin
The Hashashin:  chocolate with slight green sheen and red shimmers




Caterina
Caterina:  clay with gold sheen




Blending In
Blending In:  shimmery cinnamon




Blood Runs Red
Blood Runs Red:  beautiful burgundy with gold sparkles.  Another dark shade that's pigmented over regular primer.

Apple of Eden, The Templar, The Hashashin, Caterina, Blending In, Blood Runs Red



Bonus EotD

Desmond (inner corner), The Borgia (lid), Time Lapse (outer corner and crease) over NM's Shadow Bind

Overall, I'm really impressed with the eyeshadow formula!  I find it to be soft and fluffy, similar to Innocent + Twisted Alchemy's eyeshadow formula.  Even though they're light, I found the shades to be pigmented as well.  Like I kept saying, I was impressed with how pigmented the darker shades were over regular primer.  In my experience, dark shadows look stunning over a sticky base, but become sheer without one.  The one gripe I would have to say about this collection is how similar the darker shades look with each other.  You can obviously spot the differences in the group swatch, but if you were to use them only in the outer corners like I do, then it wouldn't make sense to get all of them.  Either way, this is a company definitely worth checking out and I was pleasantly surprised at how little I've seen of them on the subreddit when their eyeshadow formula is this good.

I want to thank Manuela again for the samples and for the opportunity to showcase them on my blog!  (On another note, I don't know if it's just me, but I'm liking the daylight bulb swatches way more than real daylight ones o_o  Maybe I'll try them out a few more times because sunlight is super hard to get in my area and this would be so much more convenient!)

- Jolie ♥

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jolie! Is this store closed now? I've been trying to get on the site for awhile now Also Baroque Cosmetics? Afk and Blackbird, why are so many companies closing up for good?? Its so sad. I hope this one will open back up. Thanks for all your great reviews and gorgeous swatches!! I really want 2 grab the COM from Geek chic Its Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather! I'm actually not sure about Uponaworld or Baroque. The last I heard from Uponaworld was the owner getting married and possibly concentrating more on bath products. I'm definitely still sad about AFK closing, but here's hoping they reopen sometime in the future!

      Some great ones are still open though, Notoriously Morbid, Corvus, Dawn Eyes, etc. Innocent + Twisted Alchemy is open as well, even if they discontinued their monthly subscription!

      I'm so glad you love my swatches and thank you so so much for your continued support :) <3

      Delete